Connect Vanatoo Powered Speakers to an Apple macOS Device Directly
Connecting Vanatoo Powered Speakers to Apple Mac direct
You can choose one of three ways to connect an Apple computer to the Vanatoo powered speakers.
- analog (good connection)
- USB (better connection)
- optical (best connection)
Digital connections (optical and USB) preserve the integrity of your music better because your music stays digital from its source to the digital amplifier, minimizing the number of times the music gets converted between analog and digital.
Plug one end of a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm stereo cable into the ‘audio out’ (i.e. headphone port) on the Apple® computer.
Plug the other end into the ‘ANALOG IN’ connector on the back of the active speaker.
The Apple computer will automatically set the audio output to the analog out port.
- You’ll need a standard USB cable with a type A connector on one end, and a type B connector on the other (if you are using an Apple product that has only Thunderbolt type USB outputs you will need to use a Type C to Type B USB cable)…
- Connect the type A connector end to one of the USB outputs on the Apple computer.
- Connect the type B connector end to the ‘USB IN’ connection on the active speaker.
- On the home screen of the Apple computer select “System Preferences…”
- On the “System Preferences” screen select “Sound”.
- On the “Sound” screen output tab select “Vanatoo USB”.
You’ll need a TOSLINK® to mini TOSLINK® (3.5mm) optical cable for this connection.
Plug the mini TOSLINK® (3.5mm) end of the cable to the Apple computer 3.5mm optical output (this is the headphone output)
Plug the TOSLINK® connector into the ‘OPTICAL IN’ connector on the active speaker.
The Apple computer will automatically set its audio output to the optical out port.